CMS and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) encourage public comment on two regulations that lay a foundation for improving quality, efficiency and safety through meaningful use of certified Electronic Health Record (EHR) technology. The regulations will help implement the EHR incentive programs enacted under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act).
A proposed rule issued by CMS outlines proposed provisions governing the EHR incentive programs, including defining the central concept of â€œmeaningful useâ€ of EHR technology. An Interim Final Regulation (IFR) issued by ONC sets initial standards, implementation specifications and certification criteria for EHR technology. Both regulations are open to public comment. Read the press release dated December 30, 2009, for more information.
Additional Web site resources:
- Recovery Act Health IT page: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/Recovery/11_HealthIT.asp.
- CMS regulation: http://www.federalregister.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2009-31217_PI.pdf.
- ONC regulation: http://healthit.hhs.gov/standardsandcertification.
- HHS press releases: https://www.cms.hhs.gov/apps/media/press_releases.asp.
- CMS fact sheets: https://www.cms.hhs.gov/apps/media/fact_sheets.asp.