Procedures for which Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan have changed a billing guideline or added a new payable group appear under Updates to Payable Procedures.
UPDATES TO PAYABLE PROCEDURES
|S3853, 81404||Basic Benefit Policy
Genetic testing for the presence of myotonic muscular dystrophy Type I has been established. It may be considered a useful diagnostic option in the diagnosis of myotonic muscular dystrophy Type I. Inclusionary and exclusionary guidelines have been updated, effective Jan. 1, 2012.
• The member displays clinical features of DM1, or is at risk of inheriting the mutation, and:
o The result of the test will directly impact the treatment being delivered
o After history, physical examination, and completion of conventional diagnostic studies (e.g. muscle testing via EMG, muscle biopsy, etc.), a definitive diagnosis remains uncertain
• For prenatal diagnosis or preimplantation genetic diagnosis of DM1
• For prenatal diagnosis or preimplantation genetic diagnosis of DM2
• For diagnosis of DM2 in asymptomatic adults who are at an increased risk of DM2 through a positive family history and are considering reproductive options
• For confirmation of a diagnosis of DM1 or DM2 in symptomatic patients in the absence of classical symptoms or a family history of the disorder
• For diagnosis of DM1 or DM2 in asymptomatic adults who are at an increased risk of DM1 or DM2 through a positive family history